Frequently Asked Questions About Membership at SMPC
When/where does the Inquirer’s Class meet?
The Inquirer’s Class meets during the Sunday School hour (9:15-10:15 AM) in the Session Room (signs will be in place to lead you from the nursery and sanctuary). A new class begins roughly every six weeks. Click here for more information about the Inquirer’s Class.
Do I need to register for the Inquirer’s Class?
No – just show up in the Session Room on the first day of the group!
What happens if I must miss a class or two?
This happens! We obviously want you to make as many of the sessions as possible, but when you need to miss, the class leadership will happily work with you to meet outside of class to go over anything about which you might have questions.
I have already been through a similar class at another EPC church. Do I need to do this again?
While we would love for you to hear about the distinctives of SMPC, and to get to know our leadership and other newcomers in a more personal way, we are open to discussing other paths to the same goal.
What are the vows that new members take?
Our membership vows are as follows:
- Do you acknowledge yourselves to be sinners in the sight of God and without hope for your salvation except in His sovereign mercy?
- Do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of God and Savior of sinners, and do you receive and depend upon Him alone for your salvation as He is offered in the Gospel?
- Do you now promise and resolve, in humble reliance upon the grace of the Holy Spirit, that you will endeavor to live as becomes the followers of Christ?
- Do you promise to serve Christ in His church by supporting and participating with this congregation in its service of God and its ministry to others to the best of your ability?
- Do you submit yourselves to the government and discipline of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church and to the spiritual oversight of this church session, and do you promise to promote the unity, purity, and peace of the Church?
Who can I talk to if I still have questions about membership.
Please feel free to contact our Sr. Pastor, Scott Bowen. He leads the Inquirer’s Class and would love to speak with you!